Meet Our Team
Torquay Kids Childcare Centre
We pride ourselves on the dignity and respect that is shown to children with an emphasis on developing a sound social and emotional set of skills for childrens upcoming formal schooling years and learning
I have been with Torquay Kids since 2013 working in all rooms. I have also enjoyed the role of Educational Leader and now hold the role of Centre Manager. I will endeavour to guide our families through a gentle transition of play-based learning with a Team of exceptionally dedicated staff. I am responsible for the daily running of the service ensuring all relevant standards and legislative requirements are met. I am organised and able to communicate well with my staff and liaise with families too.
My goal alongside my team is to provide a beautiful supportive learning and educational care environment for your children to learn, grow, thrive, feel safe, secure happy and confident in. Together with our families we are here to support your needs and make this experience a positive one that will send you off to school with competent and capable children. As Dr Seuss says “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!”
Miss Sammy holds the following attributes-
- Willingness to listen, coach, mentor and reflect alongside the team.
- A wide knowledge of theories for learning and development. And is happy to widely read, seek professional development and share her knowledge with the team.
- Knowledge of a wide range of curriculum approaches and has reflected on the strengths/ weakness of each approach.
- Knowledge of individual children and their differing learning styles.
- Be actively involved and network with the wider Educational Leader sector.
- Liaise, reflect, and learn from sector professionals on best practice and bring this information back to the team for implementation and reflection.
I believe when working closely with children it is important to have the ability to build and maintain secure and supportive relationships. I pride myself of being able to connect to children and provide them with a sense of belonging within their childcare service. I aim to build consistent, nurturing relationships through conversations and interactions with the children and their families while showing respect, support and understanding to all family backgrounds, situations, and cultures. Children and families respond positively when they feel valued and respected, this allows the opportunities for educators and families to work closely to provide the best possible care for the child. During my time in childcare, I have begun to unpack the Reggio Emilia Approach and it inspired me to incorporate some of their principles into my everyday teaching and life. I truly believe children are competent and capable learners. I believe my role as an Early Childhood Educator isn’t to lead children to answers but to work beside them and guide them to imagine, predict, explore, and discover answers for themselves. By supporting children to gain a sense of worth, purpose and autonomy they develop an interest in learning and can make decisions in their learning and play.